Dr. Vidya Rajiv Yeravdekar
Principal Director, Symbiosis
Executive Director, Centre for International Education, Symbiosis International University
MBBS – B J Medical College, Pune University
MD (Obstetrics Gynaecology & Family Welfare)
Pursuing PhD at Symbiosis International
University / Member:
• University Grants Commission (UGC), Government of India – II Term
• Governing Body of the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India- II Term
• Education Committee of Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).
• Chairperson of the Education Committee of Maratha Chamber of Commerce, Industries & Agriculture (MCCIA).
• Executive Council of National Institute of Agricultural Extension Management (MANAGE) which is under Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India.
• Vice Chairman, Academic Programme Committee, Emerging Directions in Global Education (EDGE) Forum.
• Managing Committee, Symbiosis
• Board of Management, Symbiosis International University (SIU)
Honours & Awards:
• Health Entrepreneur Award
• Health Education Award
• Adarsh Mahila award by Yuva Bharatis
• Pune ki Asha Award
• Young EDGE Education Award for Educational Leadership for the year 2009
(Awarded at the hands of Shri. Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Deputy Chairman, Planning Commission, Government of India)
• Award of Excellence in Education (awarded by Top Management Consortium at the hands of Governor of Maharashtra.)
• JIWO International Women Award for the outstanding achievement in Education field by the Jain International Women Organization (JIWO) has been awarded at the hands of Mrs. RajlaxmiBhosala, Mayor, Pune
• Giants Woman Achievers Award on the occasion of International Women’s Day by the Giants Group of Pune has been awarded at the hands of the President, Giants Group of Pune.
• Pune’s Pride Award 2011, for excellence in the field of Education by the Residency club, Pune
• Rotary Vocational Excellence Award in recognition of exceptional service to the Promotion of Education and Indian Culture by Rotary Club of Poona.
• Icon of Pune Award by Lokmat - 2011
Brief Description of Work
Dr. Vidya is the Principal Director of the Symbiosis Society which has under its ambit 43 Institutions including Schools and Higher Educational Institutions. The Symbiosis Society is the Sponsoring Society of the Symbiosis International University which is a multidisciplinary University having Faculties of Law, Management, Computer Studies, Health Sciences, Media, Communication & Design, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering. 30000 students from all States of India and over 75 different countries study in various Institutions.
Dr. Vidya imbibed the zeal for social and educational work through her father Padma Bhushan. Dr. S. B. Mujumdar.
Dr. Vidya has participated in educational fairs in many countries, organized by the University Grants Commission, to promote Indian higher education abroad. At many such occasions, she has organized seminars not just to promote awareness about education in India, but also about the rich cultural heritage of the country. She has also developed close contacts with the Ministries of Education in different countries. By liasoning with these departments she is able to understand the specific needs of youth of those countries. Under Dr. Vidya’s administration at Symbiosis, these needs are then met and provided for, in an attempt to increase the comfort level of the foreign students at Symbiosis. Dr. Vidya has streamlined the admission procedure for foreign students to Symbiosis International University and this document has been submitted to the “Promotion of Indian Higher Education Committee” – PIEHEAD Committee of UGC.
She spearheads the process of Internationalization at the Symbiosis International University being the Executive Director of Symbiosis Centre for International Education and has undertaken numerous initiatives like the Study India Program, Semester Abroad, the Scholar-In Residence, Summer Schools, setting up of Area Study Centres (i.e. Japanese and European) and many more.
Dr. Vidya is Pursuing PhD in “Internationalization of Higher Education in India”
She was chosen to be a part of the prestigious FICCI delegation accompanying the Hon’ble Minister of Education, Government of India, Shri. Kapil Sibal. The delegation visited various top Universities in the U.S. like MIT, Harvard and Yale to promote and enhance collaboration between Indian and U.S. Universities. She has travelled widely to countries like UK, USA, UAE, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Tanzania, Kenya, Ethiopia etc.
Dr. Vidya has special interest in Internationalization of Higher Education. She has presented papers articles on this subject in various National & International Conferences.
As Medical Officer with Ministry of Health, Sultanate of Oman, Dr. Vidya gained first hand clinical experience in various allied branches such as Paediatrics, General Surgery, Medicine, ENT and Ophthalmology including Accidents & Emergencies. She was particularly involved in the outreach programmes & school health education programmes. Dr. Vidya was appointed Master Trainer for the medical officers and the nursing staff and was selected to attend a workshop designed to introduce ‘birth spacing’ and implement its acceptance by the Omani Women.
Being a medical doctor herself, Dr. Vidya has also been instrumental in setting up the Symbiosis Centre of Health Care – a state of the art medical centre on the campus of Symbiosis International University to cater to all medical needs of the students. The first of its kind “cashless medical insurance scheme” has been designed, which is especially useful for students to get the best Health Care facilities in India.
Dr. Vidya has also worked in ‘Women’s Health and Adolescent Education’ - Conducted lectures on Women’s Health. She has conducted lectures on Sex Education / Adolescent Education in various schools of Pune.
........................R Sayed - NRIpress - India
|All Rights Reserved NRI press.com 2011-12|