Pune, Aug 4 (IANS) Calling the Pune serial blasts "a very serious matter", Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde Saturday said all-out investigations are underway to solve the case.
"We have taken it [the blasts] very seriously and central and state agencies are probing it from all angles. Since the investigations are continuing, it will not be proper for me to say anything," Shinde told mediapersons.
He arrived in Maharashtra, his home state, for the first time after taking over as the new union home minister Aug 1, the day four blasts ripped through Pune's busy Junglee Maharaj Road, injuring a person.
Accompanied by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, Home Minister R.R. Patil and top police and civil officials, Shinde visited the targeted sites in the evening.
Seeking the support of the media in the probe, Shinde expressed confidence that after the multi-agency investigations were completed, they would inform the media and people in detail about the case.
Admitting that the case was not as simple as it appeared, the minister urged the media to exercise restraint as they could alert outside elements.
Shinde said investigators were also probing why low intensity blasts were carried out and what could be next.
He said he had discussed all the issues with Chavan and Patil and the investigations were proceeding with guidance from the centre.
Incidentally, Shinde was scheduled to attend a Tilak Awards ceremony in Pune Aug 1 but cancelled it at the last minute to take charge as the home minister.
Earlier in the day, prior to Shinde's arrival, Chavan reviewed the investigations into the blasts with police and investigating agencies.
"I cannot comment anything on the matter as the investigations are underway," Chavan said after the meeting.
Though investigators have yet to make any headway in the probe, the needle of suspicion is pointing towards Indian Mujahideen which is reportedly active in and around Pune.
Police have interrogated the lone victim in the blast, Dayanand Patil, a tailor, his wife and at least four other people, but they are currently not considered to be involved in the blasts.
The investigators have prepared two sketches of probable suspects but are yet to circulate them among the public.
The police are likely to seek the help of mobile phone companies to trace calls which may have been made by the blast perpetrators, officials said.
|All Rights Reserved NRI press.com 2011-12|